Environmentally Sustainable Design
Sustainability is at the forefront of all ACOR design and engineering solutions. ACOR consults with clients to gain an understanding of the project’s Environmentally Sustainable Design (ESD) requirements to provide a tailored approach, incorporating sustainability initiatives throughout the design and construction phases.
The main aim of sustainable design in a project is to reduce energy, water, and materials usage, minimise waste, increase the longevity of a building’s life cycle and create a built environment which is accessible, safe, and healthy for occupants.
ACOR’s role is to facilitate embedding sustainable initiatives across all aspects of project and services offered, where sustainability initiatives are at the forefront to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and meet net zero carbon targets by 2050.
Extensive canvassing of our clients revealed that almost none were prepared to introduce environmental features in their buildings that negatively impact their project’s bottom line. Many of our clients have had mixed success with an approach where Environmental Sustainable Design (ESD) is separated from the architectural and engineering design services and considered that ESD imperatives were driving design solutions without sufficient regard to bottom line performance.
Our preferred approach is to integrate all aspects of the various functions, not just ESD outcomes alone. Our personnel have the expertise in the relevant engineering design services to value- engineer the services solutions together with our in-house ESD professionals. Where possible, we supplement engineering skills via our close working relationship with architects, who provide the requisite architecturally related environmental credentials.
The specialist modelling and design tasks applicable in office building environmental design include:
- Building Energy Modelling
- Daylighting Services
- Thermal Modelling Services
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Lighting Design
Sustainability Offering• Net Zero and Carbon Positive Assessments
• Passive Design Strategies
• Sustainable Management Plans
• Embodied Carbon and Life Cycle Analysis
• Climate Change Adaptation Plans
• Water Efficiency & Stormwater Management
• Healthy Buildings and Wellness Design
• Environmental Management Planning
• Renewable Energy Technologies and Future Power Strategies
Building Physics and Modelling• Building Energy Modelling
• Thermal Comfort Modelling
• Daylight and Glare Analysis
• Facade Optimisation
• Parametric Modelling
Building Certifications• NABERS Energy and Water Predicted Modelling and Certification
• Green Star Assessments and Certification
Compliance• National Construction Code (NCC) Section J Compliance
• JV3 Section J Alternative Solutions
• National House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS) Certification
• Built Environment Sustainability Scorecard (BESS) Assessments
• Building Sustainability Index BASIX Certification
• Energy Efficiency Ratings ACT
• Department of Defence Smart Infrastructure Compliance and Assurance